Potty Training Hell

Friday 28 August 2015

Oh potty training, what fun.  NOT.  I have been doing some form of potty training with Bean for about six months now, and we are not even close to having him potty trained.

I blame myself.  I don't think I am being as strict with him as I need to be in order to be successful. But at times I just don't think he's ready either.  So I am torn.  Do I push him or do I let him decide?  I am open to suggestions here.

We bought the big boy underwear, Mickey and Planes.  He doesn't care.  I offered big praise each time he uses the potty.  He doesn't care.  I offer bribes of chocolate.  He slightly cares.  We have serious toddler talks about using the potty.  He acts like he cares, then poo's in his nappy two minutes later.  Uggg.

So what do I do?

People tell me to wait until he's ready, but at this point he will be 25 and still not ready.

People tell me it takes three days of serious training.  Then I hear I should wait until it's warmer weather so he can run around nude and that will make it easier.  Okay.

Then my mom...ya grandma advice...she thinks he should have been potty trained months ago.  I hear the judgement in her voice when she asks, "How's it going with the potty training?" for the the 100th time.  Ya, I will let you know when he's wearing those underpants you bought him a YEAR ago. Hint taken, and not appreciated.

I even picked up a parenting magazine at the play cafe today because a headline read: "Toilet Training Made Easy."  Worth a read, right?

Well here was some of the "advice" it offered up"


  • Wait for signs your toddler is ready (okay)
  • Get your underwear before you start (duh)
  • Talk to your toddler about it before your start (double duh)
  • Give it a go (what?)
  • Know when to give it a break (thanks)
Needless to say, I was disappointed with this type of "advice".  So I will continue having him sit on the potty, showing him the big boy underpants and offering chocolate as a bribe.  

Any advice?  I will gladly accept it at this point.  Wish me luck







No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs